Monday 9 March 2015

Subcultures - Character Design Reference

I just wanted to get a rough idea on how I should go about the process of character designing, instead of simply diving right into it, and so I decided to look into various examples that have been used for more professional means. It was no surprise that I soon enough gathered an ample supply of references and tutorials, just by going through several animation-focused blogs alone.

See how important moodboards are?


There were some incredibly detailed ones (Even for characters that would just wear one type of clothing throughout the entire show's run), so I tried picking out the simpler ones that I will be able to apply to my own character designs (Again, I should really try to avoid going overboard with this visual response). 

For animated works, it is no surprise that these model sheets would focus a lot more on how far a character can express him or herself with both their bodies and faces, sure they are given one page where they are roughly shown how their outfit, but there seems to be a lot more focus on their facial expressions and body language than anything else.

I will be doing at least one turnaround animation, so it's no biggie.
Perspective and Expressions

They probably extracted these from a much larger collection of model sheets.
Note how each character is shown how they look from the front, side and back
like the Sailor Neptune character sheet, as well as the an assortment of expressions
to distinguish each character more from one another.
As I am planning to design some extra clothing for each character, I felt that it was necessary to also look into how fashion sketches are normally displayed by fashion designers. I am sure there is still so much more to look into when it comes to how they professionally display their concepts, but I believe these rough concepts are already good enough for displaying each of my characters' own unique wardrobe.

I will most probably also be reusing the same character model for every outfit, instead of attempting to redraw each character in a variety of poses (And this is excluding the various perspective shots of them in their main outfits).

Not surprisingly, while character model sheets focuses more on the characters themselves. 
These fashion concepts of course tend to focus on the clothing themselves, though
they do get extra points if they actually bother giving these faceless models
some extra personality, hehe.

Speaking of that... while these are only colour block exercises, there is already so much personality seen in these faceless models (Which is not surprising really since these were done by the talented cartoonist Tiffany Ford). If I were to go for a simpler art style, I might actually have more time to draw my characters in more poses and so on. It will definitely give the overall visual response a more lighthearted tone to it, which would make it so much more entertaining and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment