Thursday 12 November 2015

Third Tutorial Session

   So far so good, while progress for my dissertation may be a tad slow on my part (Due to issues with note gathering and a little writer's block), it would seem that I am still able to keep up with the pace suggested and given to by our lecturer. I will be further narrowing down on the topic that is to be focused upon as well as combine the chapters of "Motion Capture" and the "Uncanny" (Not just the Uncanny Valley, but the Uncanny as a whole) into one (Seeing that they both link strongly to one another in many areas and examples).

   While it has initially been narrowed down from all forms of media (Movies, TV shows, video games, etc.) to video games, it would be wise to narrow it down even further to a particular genre of games (Seeing as I have already unknowingly placed a strong focus on one genre in particular, that being the horror genre) that are known for their heavy focus on narrative and cinematic. to In terms of research, to further add to my growing list of books, video games and online articles, I will be looking up a few articles from the Edge magazines available in the library (Curse their shiny paper, though), particularly the issues that were highlighting video games such as "Beyond Two Souls" and "The Last of Us". (Another game I should probably look into is the "Broken Sword" series)

   Based on my introduction, I was also told to further expand upon the differentiating views of practitioners Ed Hooks and Jamaal Bradley (Two considerably big names in the animation industry, in their own way) in consideration to the future of video games narrative. It would also be interesting to discuss the difference in rotoscoping and motion capture, not particularly on the technical areas but more so on how they effectively applied to the animation itself. I should also continue looking into video games with interesting monster designs and animation as reference for my practical ("Forbidden Siren" especially comes to mind).

   I do feel that I had already gathered a decent amount of research (Which I believe will be four pages worth of bibliography), and so right now, I seriously need to get down to some skim reading (As I will no longer have enough time to properly read through every single one of them like I did with the first few books, still, hopefully I will still be able to take some thorough notes for a few of them) and start writing more than half of the dissertation before Christmas comes around.

For my reference in terms of listing down notes from live events I have attended:
Name of the talk, Venue, Date, Event it took place in

No comments:

Post a Comment